Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: May 2006:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#17042) mac os x (Tiger) and xcode on intel - freec

Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#17042) mac os x (Tiger) and xcode on intel - freeciv crashes machine
From: "Ian Wallace" <ian@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 May 2006 23:44:19 -0700

On 29-May-06, at 8:57 PM, Jason Dorje Short wrote:

> Ian Wallace wrote:
>>

>> Hello again,
>>
>> I'm compiling the packages, and I have run into some compile errors
>> about missing symbols:
>>
>> gcc  -g -O2 -Wall -Wpointer-arith -Wcast-align -Wmissing-prototypes -
>> Wmissing-declarations   -o civserver  civserver.o ../utility/
>> libcivutility.a ../common/libcivcommon.a ../ai/libcivai.a ../utility/
>> libcivutility.a ./libcivserver.a ../utility/libcivutility.a ../
>> common/
>> libcivcommon.a ../ai/libcivai.a ../utility/libcivutility.a ./
>> libcivserver.a ../utility/libcivutility.a ../common/aicore/
>> libaicore.a ./generator/libgenerator.a userdb/libuserdb.a -
>> lreadline   -lz  -liconv
>> /usr/bin/ld: Undefined symbols:
>> _rl_forced_update_display
>> _history_truncate_file
>> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>> make[3]: *** [civserver] Error 1
>> make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
>> make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
>> make: *** [all] Error 2
>>
>> My thought is that it seems that there is an include file missing:
>>
>> grep -R _rl_forced_update_display *
>> Binary file server/console.o matches
>> Binary file server/libcivserver.a matches
>>
>> Perhaps the console.o needs to be included, or at least the
>> console.h.  I'm not sure.  Anyway, if you have any advice, that would
>> be great.  I don't think I will be getting past this myself.
>>
>> Ian

>> ---
>>

>> Hello again,
>>
>> I'm compiling the packages, and I have run into some compile errors
>> about missing symbols:
>>
>> gcc  -g -O2 -Wall -Wpointer-arith -Wcast-align -Wmissing-prototypes
>> -Wmissing-declarations   -o civserver  civserver.o
>> ../utility/libcivutility.a ../common/libcivcommon.a ../ai/libcivai.a
>> ../utility/libcivutility.a ./libcivserver.a ../utility/
>> libcivutility.a
>> ../common/libcivcommon.a ../ai/libcivai.a ../utility/libcivutility.a
>> ./libcivserver.a ../utility/libcivutility.a ../common/aicore/
>> libaicore.a
>> ./generator/libgenerator.a userdb/libuserdb.a -lreadline   -lz  -
>> liconv
>> /usr/bin/ld: Undefined symbols:
>> _rl_forced_update_display
>> _history_truncate_file
>> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>> make[3]: *** [civserver] Error 1
>> make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
>> make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
>> make: *** [all] Error 2
>>
>> My thought is that it seems that there is an include file missing:
>>
>> grep -R _rl_forced_update_display *
>> Binary file server/console.o matches
>> Binary file server/libcivserver.a matches
>>
>> Perhaps the console.o needs to be included, or at least the
>> console.h.
>> I'm not sure.  Anyway, if you have any advice, that would be
>> great.  I
>> don't think I will be getting past this myself.
>
> Undefined symbols means a library is missing.  readline.h gives
> [...]

I compiled with your --without-readline option and it compiled just
fine.  I was able to start the server, but when I try to start the
client I get this error:

./civclient
1: Did not read help texts
0: No usable default tileset found, aborting!

Even though there does seem to be some tilesets in ./data.

I will look through the docs for this issue, but if you know it
offhand, let me know.

Ian