Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: June 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#13290) The Great Multiplication

Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#13290) The Great Multiplication
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 09:00:52 -0700

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005, Peter Schaefer wrote:
> Well, I kind of like the simple values

Yeah, the simplicity of low values is the only good argument against
multiplying the numbers (other than inertia and the work involved).
However, I am sure players are also mystified and frustrated by the
arbitrariness and mysteriousness of the rounding rules.

> if you multiply by 10 or even 4 you will get numbers that are even
> harder to add up in your head

But at least you _can_ add them up without having to figure out where they
went due to vanishing mysteriously in the rounding rules. This does lead
to another problem, however:

The solution of using a multiplied value internally and dropping (or
rounding) the fraction when displaying the value means that the numbers
will often not add up. Eg if you have 4 trade, then you get either 1/1/1
or 2/2/2 science/gold/luxuries, which add up to different numbers than 4,
3 shields on the city map ends up being 4 shields due to 10% bonus, or two
cities giving (apparently) 5 science each ends up giving 9 science total.
The oddities will be many, and might result in many erronous bug reports.

  - Per