Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: June 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#13290) The Great Multiplication

To: per@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#13290) The Great Multiplication
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 08:11:00 -0700

Per I. Mathisen wrote:

> I and Jason discussed various corruption-related issues on IRC, and noted
> how incredibly much of the game that relies upon the rounding rules
> applied to city outputs. Many changes that could be done to the game will
> quite simply disappear in the rounding, or, conversely, get an effect that
> can only be way too large.
>
> The solution to this is simple, though. We just multiply all outputs by a
> certain factor, say 10. So instead of a whale giving you 2/1/2, it gives
> 20/10/20. Then we increase all costs by the same factor.
>
> This would allows us to use/change the increase-tile-output effects and
> government rules without screwing up game balance completely.
>
> The only downside I see to this is that x10 numbers are a bit verbose. So
> perhaps a factor of 4 is better, giving 8/4/8 for the whale for instance,
> while still giving us plenty of room.
>
> What say you all?

This may not be as easy as it sounds; however at a minimum it would be
good to try it out to see what breaks.

What you're talking about is multiplying *everything* by a factor of X.
 This includes food, shields, trade, gold, luxury, and science; it means
large portions of the ruleset have to be edited to multiply by that
amount.  The problem I suspect will be certain fixed-cost items that are
not modifyable at all, or (not quite as bad) are only modifyable in the
server settings (i.e., not in the ruleset).

Possible problem cases:

1.  2 luxury per contented citizen.
2.  Diplomat action costs?
3.  Tech costs (with certain tech styles).
4.  Who knows what else...

-jason