Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: June 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#13290) The Great Multiplication

To: per@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#13290) The Great Multiplication
From: "Benoit Hudson" <bh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 07:23:49 -0700

On Mon, Jun 20, 2005 at 03:49:17AM -0700, Per I. Mathisen wrote:

> The solution to this is simple, though. We just multiply all outputs by a

I agree wholeheartedly.  With a large enough multiplier, the CM code could
largely be thrown away and replaced with a linear program.

> The only downside I see to this is that x10 numbers are a bit verbose. So
> perhaps a factor of 4 is better, giving 8/4/8 for the whale for instance,
> while still giving us plenty of room.

Maybe multiply by 10 internally, then divide by 10 before printing, like
with hitpoints?  Probably when you click to get precise details (in the
city dialog), that should give you the internal numbers (perhaps in faux
floating-point: 99 written as 9.9).

And then, instead of 10, why not 100 or 1000?

        -- Benoît