Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12905) RFC: normalizing the effects of happiness b

To: saywhat@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12905) RFC: normalizing the effects of happiness buildings
From: "Peter Schaefer" <peter.schaefer@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2005 05:20:18 -0700

On 4/29/05, (Eddie Anderson) <saywhat@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> "Peter Schaefer" <peter.schaefer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>     Even with the change I proposed, unhappiness caused by military
> units still has an effect - it prevents celebration.

I find that cheesy - players leading a war will not care much about a
little trade lost, but a city in disorder commands their attention,
because you can't buy military units in it and it is good for nothing.
I also dislike changing celebration into more trade - people don't pay
that much attention to micromanaging their trade. Also, under this
model, the celebration will never stop, unlike city growth, which is
negative feedback limiting celebrations to a few special turns.

Let's just start coding my migration algo, I'll try to help :-P ;-)
After that migration can replace the city growth part of celebration :)

> >So you might get away with 4 steps(city status' ) instead of 5 as they are
> >now:
> >- get initial unrest and determine military unrest
> >- calculate luxuries and content modifiers and include wonders in these.
> >(steps)
> >- set up city for initial unrest
> >- apply content modifier
> >- apply luxuries modifier
> >- apply military unrest starting from lowest content citizen
>
>      Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you wrote, but I don't see how
> this produces a better result.  In fact, as I read it, this would
> also render Shakespeare and Bach as impotent as Michelangelo.

I did not suggest putting all wonders into the "content" category, but
placing some of them into the "luxuries" category(which btw. follows
your master plan partially). As long as a city has as many happy as
discontent citizens, it won't revolt, so that allows you to have more
military units. Wonders of this kind would be more generic and
scriptable, they would simply have an effect vs unrest and an effect
vs luxuries. Please forgive me that I haven't worked out all details,
but I'm sure your plan to convert all to luxuries would also have
problems. Also, to point that out again, the effects of military law
just cannot be converted to luxuries, so that your plan to convert all
to luxuries just can't work.

Btw, I think Republic should also have a military law of 1 unit/city.

Greetings,
   Peter