Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12905) RFC: normalizing the effects of happiness b

To: saywhat@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12905) RFC: normalizing the effects of happiness buildings
From: "Brian Dunstan" <bdunstan149@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2005 09:30:49 -0700

--- Peter Schaefer <peter.schaefer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 4/30/05, Brian Dunstan <bdunstan149@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:

> > > I don't think you can really stop a smallpox
> island
> > > game from making players go for Republic, simply
> > > because it has more research and that
> > > cannot change.
> >
> > Getting rid of smallpox is simple, getting
> agreement
> > on how to get rid of it is hard.  Citymindist 4-5
> gets
> > rid of smallpox.  Military unhappines of 2 per
> unit,
> > with no initial no-unhappiness unit, would help
> poison
> > the republican well for smallpoxers.
>
> Well, we talked about Monarchy, and that government
> has less military
> upkeep, i.e. free units, so maybe having an upkeep
> of 2 for some or
> all units would make Monarchy more popular. Maybe
> not as first tech,
> but at least as an option to switch to. But well,
> yes that needs
> agreement. Also, smallpox games lead to quick
> action, while largepox
> games as they are done now have long phases with
> nothing to do, so its
> not like smallpox hasn't a few things speaking for
> it. So, ruleset
> rooms on pubserver with some ruleset designed by a
> comittee ;-) would
> be nice, to forge agreements :-)

Oh sure :)  That's why city mindist is configurable,
so people can use their own preferences.
Smallpoxing is an expansionist, aggressive, militarist
strategy that relies on raging hordes of troops
attacking the neighbors.  I don't think it's realistic
that the republic and democracy governments be the
ideal choice for such a strategy.  That kind of
strategy should work best under less pacifistic
governments, like monarchy and communism.  It would
not hurt imo to make monarchy/communism a little
better, or republic a little worse, for those who are
planning to smallpox.