Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12905) RFC: normalizing the effects of happiness b

To: saywhat@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12905) RFC: normalizing the effects of happiness buildings
From: "Brian Dunstan" <bdunstan149@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 07:06:44 -0700

--- "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, 26 Apr 2005, (Eddie Anderson) wrote:
> >   What does everyone think about normalizing the
> effects of the
> > happiness modifier produced by happiness buildings
> (Temples,
> > Colosseums, Cathedrals)?
>
> I'm for it. Make it all be luxuries. Neat and
> elegant. However, this idea
> is not very popular, IIRC.
>
> >   Besides being inconsistent, this difference
> produces counter-
> > intuitive results that are occasionally reported
> as bugs. E.g.
> > consider a player with Michelangelo and a temple,
> unhappysize=4,
> > a size 6 city, and a Democracy gov't.
> >
> >   He builds one bomber (or cruise missile) or
> sends one aggressive
> > unit across the border and his city falls into
> disorder.He wonders
> > why.He's got all kinds of excess happiness
> modifiers.  He wants to
> > know why those excess modifiers can't quell the
> unhappiness caused
> > by one military unit.
>
> But as far as I can tell, they will...
>
> IIRC, and I take this from my spurious memory:
>
> unhappysize=4 causes 2 unhappiness (size 6)
> Bomber causes 2 unhappiness (under Democracy)
> Michelangelo quells 2
> Temple quells 2 (with Mysticism)
>
> The end result is no unhappiness.
>
>   - Per

The order of application is

1.  base unhappiness
2.  luxuries
3.  building effects (temple, cathedral etc)
4.  military unhappiness / martial law
5.  wonders

however, 'wonders' can be a funny thing, because some
wonders act as a building in each city; so
shakespeare's theater cures military unhappiness but
michaelangelo's chapel does not.

The argument in favor of not allowing most buildings
to cure military unhappiness might be a realism one.
Military unhappiness basically is antiwar protest.
Will building a new sports stadium really make these
people content?  The effect of the police station
improvement seems more convincing here.

Also, making other people, who are not against the
war, so wealthy that they love the current order of
things, might give support 5o that current order.