Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12668) Changes in how to win the game...

To: per@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12668) Changes in how to win the game...
From: "Mike Kaufman" <kaufman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2005 09:16:29 -0800

On Sun, Mar 27, 2005 at 04:58:11AM -0800, Per I. Mathisen wrote:

> Keep in mind that this is for ranking in pubserver games. Here conquest is
> everything - peaceful victory can only be gained by blasting off to Alpha
> Centauri.

except it's not. you could have an enormous peaceful empire and you will win
come endyear or /endgame.

> Alliances and tech exchange are here not 'peaceful ends' but a means of
> ganging up on the best player(s). This should be punished, otherwise
> pubserver will be very unfair to better players.

that might be true, but allowing alliances means allowing weaker players to
benefit directly from forming one (i.e. they share in the win), rather than
knocking the best player out and then hoping to feed on the second best
player. Without scoring alliances (the Allied Win) the game won't end when
the alliance is left. The alliance will have to break. And it will have to,
since the rule to equalize scores among the alliance is gone.

-mike