Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12668) Changes in how to win the game...

To: per@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12668) Changes in how to win the game...
From: "Benoit Hudson" <bh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2005 17:41:07 -0800

On Sat, Mar 26, 2005 at 02:27:07PM -0800, Per I. Mathisen wrote:
> The reason for 1) is that this concept was a bad one. It encourages
> ganging up the best player. Instead, there should only be one winner, and
> he should be punished for the number of alliances and tech exchanges he
> has been involved in.

Why punish for being peaceful?  The game has a lot of civilian things to
do that don't get done if you demand military victory.  I'd put in a
strong vote in favour of allowing peaceful strategies to do well.

> The reason for 3) is obvious, but this was actually not how it was
> implemented. Right now, if you do "set endyear" to end the game, it will
> end in a draw!

Agree that it's weird to have more points than everyone else combined
and have it end in a draw (the usual case for me, by about 1500AD, in an
all-AI game).

        -- Benoît