Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#1524) Bug: Carrier disband and airplanes

To: ChrisK@xxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#1524) Bug: Carrier disband and airplanes
From: "Christian Knoke" <chrisk@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 10:30:19 -0800

On Wed, Mar 23, 2005 at 09:22:24AM -0800, Jason Short wrote:

> > This bug was reported back when 'sentry' was what you did when you were
> > being transported, but you could also sentry for other reasons. Now you
> > 'load' units onto transports, but what happens when you 'sentry' aircraft
> > on a carrier? What if the carrier moves - is the unit left dangling in the
> > air?
> >
> > I think the only meaningful conclusion is that aircraft cannot sentry
> > unless in an airbase or a city. If they are 'loaded' on a sinking ship,
> > they should sink too. IMHO.
>
> Aircraft cannot sentry unless they are in an airbase, city, or
> transporter.  Most loaded units (though not necessarily airplanes) are
> sentries by default.

Good.

> Sinking a unit unnecessarily when its transporter
> is disbanded may be realistic, but isn't good for gameplay since the
> unit could easily have been shuffled off before - it just adds to
> micro-management.

You mean, move a transporter with air units on board, unload them (without
moving), wait until turn end or until you move the carrier next time, then
reload units?

For realism, the units have to die on an attack, I think you agree here?

> This is particularly true for air units where loading
> them is optional.

Don't allow generic unloading of air (all?) units. Unloading is only
possible when the unit moves.

Christian