Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#1524) Bug: Carrier disband and airplanes

To: ChrisK@xxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#1524) Bug: Carrier disband and airplanes
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 09:22:24 -0800

Per I. Mathisen wrote:

>>>This patch activates all units that are unloaded when a unit is wiped
>>>(disbanded or...whatever).
>>
>>not sure I understand. shouldn't transported units be killed too if their
>>transporter is killed?

If the transporter is killed in combat, everyone on the tile dies.  If
it is disbanded, any units that can are shuffled out of it to safety.
This just saves on micromanagement.

> This bug was reported back when 'sentry' was what you did when you were
> being transported, but you could also sentry for other reasons. Now you
> 'load' units onto transports, but what happens when you 'sentry' aircraft
> on a carrier? What if the carrier moves - is the unit left dangling in the
> air?
>
> I think the only meaningful conclusion is that aircraft cannot sentry
> unless in an airbase or a city. If they are 'loaded' on a sinking ship,
> they should sink too. IMHO.

Aircraft cannot sentry unless they are in an airbase, city, or
transporter.  Most loaded units (though not necessarily airplanes) are
sentries by default.  Sinking a unit unnecessarily when its transporter
is disbanded may be realistic, but isn't good for gameplay since the
unit could easily have been shuffled off before - it just adds to
micro-management.  This is particularly true for air units where loading
them is optional.

-jason