Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#10091) Game balance adjustment

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#10091) Game balance adjustment
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 03:26:15 -0700

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004, Jason Short wrote:
> > So (to repeat) what is changed by this patch?
> > - Library gives 100% increase to science (instead of 50%)
> > - University gives 150% increase to science (instead of 50%)
>
> So +250% with both library and university?
>
> > - Research Lab gives 100% increase to science for each of Library and
> > University (instead of 50% for Library), and requires University
> This is +450% with all three buildings. Wow.

Yes, bonuses increasing as you go up the building tree, just as in Moo2.
This is the only way to match the almost exponential benefits you get from
infinite city sprawl (ICS).

> > - SETI gives 100% increased science production in each city with a
> > Research Lab (instead of free Research Lab).
>
> It could still give a free research lab, but only in cities with a
> university

I don't like the "get X free in all cities" mechanic, since it is such a
powerful bonus to ICS play style. Especially when Research Lab is modified
to be so powerful (200% bonus) as in this patch.

> > - Copernicus gives 100% increased science (instead of 50%)
> > - Newton's now increases efficiency of University by 100 (instead of
> > increasing science in city by 100%)
>
> It should thus have a bldg_req.

I moved the bldg_req changes into a separate patch.

I have playtested these changes quite a bit now. I think the above works
quite well, and should make largepox playstyle possible, although it is
still an inferior tactic. Although largepox can now keep up in the
research race, smallpox still outproduces largepox.

I am no longer very hot on the idea of moving the republic/democracy tile
bonus into an increased library and marketplace bonus. I have some other
ideas I am going to test.

We should also look at increasing unhappiness settings in governments
ruleset to match the more difficult civ2 ruleset more closely. I have
already posted a patch for this.

  - Per