Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#10091) Game balance adjustment

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#10091) Game balance adjustment
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 15:28:52 -0700

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004, Jason Short wrote:
> >- Research Lab gives 100% increase to science for each of Library and
> > University (instead of 50% for Library)
>
> So a total of +200%? That's rather extreme.

Yes, I realize this. However, taking some pages from Moo2 here, I think
higher level improvements should have increasing utility. This way it
becomes increasingly better to improve a city than to make more cities.
However, 200% may be too much.

> >- Copernicus gives 100% increased science (instead of 50%) and Newton's
> > gives 200% increased science (instead of 100%)
>
> This doesn't favor largepox specifically, it just benefits having one
> city of largepox. Especially if you combine such wonders (collossus +
> richards crusade + copernicus) it is quote powerful, and can be used
> even by a "smallpox" player.

Yes. I wasn't sure what to do with these. I think most of these wonders
should be 'building boosters' with player range, similar to Oracle. We can
change Newton's to a building booster for University and Copernicus to a
building booster for Library, similar to the change to SETI... for
example.

We should of course leave some wonders for the smallpox and ICS
strategies. I most definitely do _not_ want to eliminate either smallpox
or ICS as viable strategies.

> These should be accompanied by higher upkeeps, which will be less
> supportable by small cities.

Good point. But then I also think Bank and Stock Exchange should have
increased effect. Perhaps at 75% and 100%, respectively.

  - Per