Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: July 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#9181) [freeciv #9176] Re: Freeciv algorythm

To: swromania21@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#9181) [freeciv #9176] Re: Freeciv algorythm
From: "Per Inge Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2004 03:24:37 -0700

On Mon, 5 Jul 2004, Jason Short wrote:
> Ocean reachability is player-dependent since you can build a "canal"
> across land by building a city. I do this all the time.
>
> So I think Greg's approach of using PF is better than ocean continent
> numbers for most purposes

Yes, we should run pf to see if we can get there, but running pf is slow.
If we have ocean numbers, we can do simple sanity checking before trying
to build ships in the AI, saving lots of CPU. The AI does not need to know
about canals when building ships, this level of detail isn't needed,
although it can use them when it has ships already built.

So ocean numbers would be a good tool, although like most tools it won't
cover all cases.

  - Per