Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: July 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#9172) Wishlist: Choose nations in pregame

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#9172) Wishlist: Choose nations in pregame
From: "Per Inge Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2004 11:26:05 -0700

On Mon, 5 Jul 2004, Jason Short wrote:
> > This is not solved by scenarios, since then you do not get random map
> > generation and random start positions.
>
> A scenario can give random start positions if the start positions aren't
> included in the scenario, I think.
>
> What about having scenarios without any maps, causing the map to be
> generated?

How would you go about creating such scenarios? Civworld cannot do this,
and this would also be cumbersome and not many people have it.

Say you have 2 different nations and a maximum of four players total, of
which one through three should be played by humans (same nation type) and
the fourth by AI (second nation type). How do you set this up in a
scenario without creating the maximum of four players? We may want to play
only with three players.

You (player) may want to alter settings from what they are in the
scenario. This means added dependencies on rulesets and server options,
and it is not wholly clear to me what these would have to be. Currently we
have to use the load game option to use scenarios, and thus the connection
dialog cannot be used by set these options, which is bad.

It would be real nice to be able to divide up the nations between the
players before the game starts. This is common in games like Starcraft and
C&C Generals when the game is cooperative against AI or teams.

It would also be nice to associate user names and flags in pregame, so
that you don't have to recheck this after game start to see who's who.

  - Per