Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: July 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#9181) [freeciv #9176] Re: Freeciv algorythm

To: swromania21@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#9181) [freeciv #9176] Re: Freeciv algorythm
From: "James Canete" <use_less@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2004 05:13:40 -0700

> [per@xxxxxxxxxxx - Mon Jul 05 10:17:16 2004]:
>
> On Mon, 5 Jul 2004, Pavel Bogdan wrote:
> > Ok. So you have numbers for all oceans and continents
>
> No, we only have it for continents now. We also need it for oceans, but
> nobody has had the time to implement it yet.

Hmm, should oceans be separated globe-style (ie ocean numbers aren't
just dictated by separation, but by the shape of the continents) or are
all the connected ocean tiles considered one ocean? (possibly giving
rise to freshwater tiles inland)

Also, once ocean numbers are in, could we also implement road network
numbers and use these to calculate bonus trade, as a ruleset alternative
to setting up trade routes?  (ie for a particular city we count up the
number of cities with the same road network number, and we count up the
number of cities with harbor with the same ocean number, throw in a
ruleset multiplier/divisor or two, take into account city distances, and
give out bonus trade)

Road networks could also be used for a different idea I have, limiting
the use of rail to players who have a city on the network.  Trains don't
come out of nowhere, right? :)  That complicates things if we take into
account enemy cities on the network though, since each player basically
needs a different rail network map if an enemy city (or even an enemy
unit) counts as a roadblock.

I have a first-try attempt at a road network patch, but I haven't tested
it out much.  I'll probably submit it to rt in a few days.  I might as
well take a crack at ocean numbers as well, once I look at the code a
bit more.

-James Canete