Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: June 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#9147) researchcost proposal

To: per@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#9147) researchcost proposal
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 09:36:33 -0700

Per Inge Mathisen wrote:

> Giving:
> Map Making: new=19 old=30
> Republic or Trade: new=141 old=150
> Navigation: new=713 old=550
> Steam Engine: new=4801 old=2530
>
> Note that these numbers are for when you are going _directly_ for the
> listed tech, any techs chosen along the way will make the tech more
> expensive under the old tech cost style more; while under the new tech
> cost style, the cost will remain exactly the same.

So research could actually be faster under the new system...

I think looking at the number of dependencies of a tech isn't as
important as looking at how advanced the tech is.  Civ3 had a
one-dimensional progression of techs through the stone ages, middle
ages, industrial ages, modern ages.  Thinking of things in this turn
some middle-ages techs may have many more prereqs than others, but all
should require the same (or at least in the same range) of research points.

>>>The above will slow down research in a more graceful way that the doubling
>>>of researchcost after 1AD, and also slow it down a bit in general.

Doubling of researchcost after 1AD is crap.

> If you research Polytheism as your 70th tech, as I did above, then it
> would cost 700 under the tech_cost_style=0 and 30 under tech_cost_style=1.
> It makes quite a difference to techs you delay for long.

What happens if you go through the techs one at a time without any
specific goals?  Does it take more points under the new system or under
the old?

jason