Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: June 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#9147) researchcost proposal

To: per@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#9147) researchcost proposal
From: "ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 06:16:43 -0700

On Tue, Jun 29, 2004 at 05:39:08AM -0700, Per Inge Mathisen wrote:

> I propose that
>  - doubling researchcost after a given date is made a ruleset option,
> defaulting to off (now it doubles at year 1)

Ok, didn't know why we had that rule in past.

>  - a new researchcost option is added, which is researchcost * no. tech
> dependencies * sqrt(no. tech dependencies), and this is made default.

That is good, because now researching a unneeded tech makes all other
techs more expensive. Would be better in future.

Second it would make techtrading in alliances useless, because not the
number of techs someone has counts.

>  - researchcost is set to 5 (now 10)
>
> The resulting tech costs becomes:
> deps  cost
> 1       5
> 2       14
[...]
> 28      741

That doesn't say anything. More important is:

How much bulbs to
Republic
Map Making
Navigation
Magnetism
Steam Engine
Trade

<offtopic>
That reminds me on my settlercost patch:
# of build settlers  / cost
1 40
2 40
3 40
4 50
5 60
6 70
</offtopic>

> Currently, research cost for your 28th tech is 280 before 1AD and 560
> after 1AD.
>
> The above will slow down research in a more graceful way that the doubling
> of researchcost after 1AD, and also slow it down a bit in general.

I like your idea.

> PS Note that since I propose that we count number of dependencies of a
> tech and not number of techs ever researched, similar to
> tech_cost_style=1, the costs do not increase as much as the above would
> seem to indicate. Here is a list to show the difference between the
> tech_cost_style=0 (default rules) and tech_cost_style=1 for some late
> techs (full list available on request), current cost in parenthesis:

> calculating tech cost for Polytheism to 30 (would be 700), prereqs 3
> calculating tech cost for Monotheism to 100 (would be 710), prereqs 10

Think that is wrong, or i didn't understand.

Thomas
--
Thomas Strub  ***  eMail ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
jb: people are stupid, they don't want to learn.