Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: June 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#8935) Relief Special

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#8935) Relief Special
From: "Marcelo Burda" <mburda@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 16:13:39 -0700

Le jeu 10/06/2004 à 00:48, Jason Short a écrit :

> Marcelo Burda wrote:
>
> >> It was very hard
> >>to tell without asking what the output of a tile would be.
> >
> > there is a png where i test the visibility of a base terrains under
> > mountains and tundra. Hill can be make best with more transparent!
>
> Currently the sprites cannot have any transparency.  And I quite doubt
> that hills/forests will look good transparent.
>
> I also doubt they'll look good matched against terrains other than those
> for which they're intended.  This isn't a problem in isotrident since
> they're not really "intended" for any terrain.  But in
> http://freeciv.org/~jdorje/civ3.png the mountains and hills blend
> together very well with the underlying grassland.  But if this grassland
> were changed that would no longer be the case.
>
> Finally I don't think the mountains will look good against all terrains,
> even in (iso)trident.  Of course this just means we need a
> CanHaveMountain terrain flag.  But for instane you shouldn't have a
> mountain on top of a forest.
>
> Which brings me to my next point, that forests and jungles should be
> turned into specials before mountains are.
>
> As for the overall design, I have an idea where not only all terrain
> types but also all special types come from the ruleset.  So roads (and
> the settler actions that create them) are defined in the ruleset, as are
> rivers (and the mapgen data needed to place them).  However this is a
> very long-term goal.  In the nearer future I want to have all terrain
> types come from the ruleset ("gen-terrain").  Having hills, mountains,
> forests, and jungles done as specials may help with this.  But it will
> take some work to convince me that any terrain other than grassland
> should get the CanHaveXXX flag (XXX={Hills, Mountains, Forests, Jungles}).
>
> jason

Your are right. as i am sayed vegetate (forest/jungle) will be a spetial
too. all future spetial will not be used in these ways. then forest and
jungle never will get Hill or Mountains until turned in specials.
Finally more basic terrains will be remains. artic(no
vegetate)/tundra/plains/desert(vegetate only if
water)/grassland/swamp(no relief?)/

i can think to move artics as a ice spetial too.

then in intermediate times the grounds terains
:TER_MOUNTAINS,TER_HILL,TER_FOREST,TER_JUNGLE will be CantMethaSpetial
flags until deprecated.