Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: May 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#8811) use equiv_range for wonder range

To: jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#8811) use equiv_range for wonder range
From: "Mike Kaufman" <kaufman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 10:55:07 -0700

On Sun, May 23, 2004 at 10:24:38AM -0700, Jason Short wrote:

> > [kauf - Sun May 23 15:06:31 2004]:
> >
> > I'm a little confused about this patch. IR_WORLD != EFT_WORLD and equiv
> > range is not effect range. This patch _seems_ to equate the two. Please
> > explain.
>
> But can this possibly be worse than the current behavior of hard-coding
> the list?  A least now the information comes from _somewhere_ in the
> ruleset.  I believe this patch is an improvement but not a final state.
>
> However in Vasco's patch it seems like he uses this as the final state.
>  This needs explanation.
>
> As a side note, the explanation of equiv_range in the ruleset makes it
> sound exactly like EFT_WORLD.  What is the difference?

sorry, this should actually be EFR_WORLD. The difference is that
equiv_range is with respect to improvement redundancy: i.e. equiv_dupl and
equiv_repl. In the definitions of these, s/range/equiv_range should perhaps
be done to avoid future confusion.

; equiv_range   = range for which this may be equivalent to another
;                 building; one of:
;                   "None", "Local", "City", "Island", "Player", "World"
; equiv_dupl    = list of buildings that duplicate this building if
;                 this city is within that building's range (may
;                 still build this, but will have no effect)
; equiv_repl    = list of buildings that replace this building if
;                 this city is within that building's range (not
;                 allowed to build this)

It is bad to take this info from the ruleset because some unknowing soul
can change this value in the ruleset and wind up very surprised as to the
results. This code will simply have to stay until a full effects paradigm
is established.

-mike