Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#8455) Bombardment (aka ranged attack)

To: use_less@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#8455) Bombardment (aka ranged attack)
From: "rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2004 06:38:21 -0700

I agree/sympathize completely ... neither extreme is viable and
while the competitive balancing act is good, it is trying.

But the real fun of Freeciv is the ability to play all the
variant flavours and switch between them, or tweak the rules one
absolutely *hates*.

I'm happy to have goals and wishlists more or less agreed on (if
they follow the above sentiments of course), and an understanding that
implementation must not conflict/reverse them. But also, that the
default option mode is the hardcoded/locked down mode, and may not
even have code completed to execute or unlock it for experimentation
in all cases. Only code which is needed for the tested templates is
absolutely required and required to be 100% robust.

I do think that a common framework for doing this is not a big deal
but will take incremental adjustments over time to get it fully in
place, e.g. following a standard initialization flow for a windowing
model vs old functional model program everywhere.

Fine tuning is providing a set of template options (probably the
hardcoded defaults in 90% of the cases) that are tested as part
of a release. On the rest the user is left to their own with the
caveat "on your head be it".

But if you give them templates, the changes are likely to be adding
or removing a few things, often just to give one feature in an
alternate template, which is basically what the Civ variants do now.

Cheers,
RossW
=====

Per I. Mathisen wrote: