Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#8455) Bombardment (aka ranged attack)

To: use_less@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#8455) Bombardment (aka ranged attack)
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 4 Apr 2004 08:44:11 -0700

On Sun, 4 Apr 2004, Vasco Alexandre da Silva Costa wrote:
> > This patch adds a new unit flag, F_BOMBARDER, and the unit values
> > bombard_range, bombard_strength, and bombard_rate.

I don't like bombard_range. I would rather that bombard units bombarded
instead of doing a normal attack, when moved toward the same tile as an
enemy.  This way we avoid yet another annoying micromanagement nightmare
command requiring mouseclicks.

> > -Should a bombard attack one unit or all units stacked?

All.

> > -Should a bombard attack have a pillage ability?

No.

> > -Can a bombarding unit be bombarded back by another unit with equal or
> > greater range?

No.

> > -AI has no idea how to use bombarders.

I can fix that afterwards, if this goes into cvs.

> > -Does this add any tactical/enjoyment value to freeciv combat?

Only if bombardment replaces the ability to do normal attacks. Then you
could make ironclads etc not be able to kill enemy units like there was no
tomorrow, as is the case now.

> > -Does this even fit with the scale presented in freeciv?

No, the idea of 'range' is silly on this scale.

> > -Is "Bombard" a good term?

Sure.

> Do it like SMAC. Bombardment could neverkill units, just sap their HP.

Agreed.

  - Per