Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#8455) Bombardment (aka ranged attack)

To: use_less@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#8455) Bombardment (aka ranged attack)
From: "rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 4 Apr 2004 15:20:42 -0700

James Canete wrote:

> Presently this patch only supports the win32 client (though it shouldn't
> be hard to implement in the others), and the code is in a shall we say
> less than pristine condition.  This version is mostly a
> proof-of-concept.  There's a lot of duplicated code (I just copied the
> attack code basically :) and hacks here and there that I'll fix eventually.
>
> This patch adds a new unit flag, F_BOMBARDER, and the unit values
> bombard_range, bombard_strength, and bombard_rate.
>
> To bombard, select bombard from the orders menu, and click on the target
> unit or city.  Keyboard shortcut not yet implemented.
>
> When you tell a unit to bombard an enemy unit or city, it does
> bombard_rate attacks of bombard_strength to every unit stacked there,
> and takes off one population.  Attack is one sided; attacker takes no
> damage.
>
> Bombardment takes up all of a unit's movement points and cannot be done
> from a transport.  Bombardment cannot be done where friendly units exist.
>
> No, I'm not sure if this makes the game any better. :)

A summary of SMAC bombard listed here and any other bombard rules would be
the best way to handle this. All such elements should probably be optional
at the rulesset level, and some should be runtime choices by the user.

> Issues:
> -Client still makes defender sound.
> -Should a bombard attack one unit or all units stacked?

Optional at ruleset and runtime levels.
Choice of All, top defender or selected with decreased prob for all.

> -Should a bombard attack have a pillage ability?

Yes. Destroying infrastructure in the field and improvements in cities
were always the main use of such units.

> -Can a bombarding unit be bombarded back by another unit with equal or
> greater range?

Attacks are independent. I think there is no chance of "losing" during a
bombard attack so the idea of a return type of hit is meaningless.

> -AI has no idea how to use bombarders.
> -Does this add any tactical/enjoyment value to freeciv combat?

Yes if done right.

> -Does this even fit with the scale presented in freeciv?

Disbelief is routinely suspended in these ways.

> -Is "Bombard" a good term?

Have a contest to choose and vote on names. Bombard is an ok default.

> -Most likely a lot of bugs I haven't caught yet.
>
> -James Canete

Cheers,
RossW
=====