Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#8455) Bombardment (aka ranged attack)

To: use_less@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#8455) Bombardment (aka ranged attack)
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2004 02:34:40 -0700

On Mon, 5 Apr 2004, James Canete wrote:
> bombard-norange, version 2
> -most(all?) of the changes Per requested.

You forgot to change common/capstr.c and there is still a lot of missing
spaces in your code :)

You should drop this
+  freelog(LOG_VERBOSE, "bombard:%d, defense:%d, bombard firepower:%d",
+         attackpower, defensepower, attack_firepower);

and maybe put the unit_bombard_unit() function inside unit_bombard() for
speed (you don't intend to use this elsewhere?).

> -bombard_rate is used, in unit_bombard() in server/unithand.c. But it
> could easily be set to a unit-wide default value, like say, 6.

Hmm, yes. Actually, it is slightly useful. I'd say keep it.

> Thoughts:
> I'd still like ranged combat to get in, simply because SMAC has ranged
> combat. :) Also I think it adds a touch of tactical flavour to the game,
> increasing the importance of placement over stacking.

Separate patch and discussion, ok? :)

Can you post a new bombard ruleset for testing? Put it in a separate
ticket, and make it open/design-pending for the design-board. Then I will
commit your next version unless I find bugs or you add new features that I
object to.

  - Per