[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#4684) client-side air goto

To: jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#4684) client-side air goto
From: "Raimar Falke" <i-freeciv-lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 22:27:01 -0800

On Fri, Jan 23, 2004 at 04:01:34PM -0800, Gregory Berkolaiko wrote:

> On Fri, 23 Jan 2004, Jason Short wrote:
>
> > > I mean the server-side air PF which is already in.  It wasn't my sole
> > > effort, of course.
> >
> > I thought server-side air goto still used warmap?  Does the PF have
> > support for fuel?
>
> No, it never did.  It uses some of the global variables that belong to
> warmap, but it's a standalone thing.
>
> It does have support for fuel.  It's build around the assumption that
> the possible refuel points are "sparse" on the map, so it's better to have
> a list of them, rater than "crawl" the map like the big PF does.
>
> I want to reiterate that I never did any timing comparsions (because there
> was nothing to compare against).

The air goto is really a well-known find-shortest-path from vertex to
vertex but the vertexes aren't tiles but refuel/safe points plus the
starting position plus the destination position. The reason for this
is that the finding of a path on a tile level from on of the above
vertex to another is easy. So you can abstract the tile level away and
be a lot faster.

While Jason's patch is a first working version which allows showing
the path in the client nothing stops us from special casing air-goto
inside PF. The idea is that you have the same interface (PF) but a
faster implementation.

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 "> WHY?! Isn't it better to put $(shell cat cscope.files) on the list of