[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#4684) client-side air goto

To: jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#4684) client-side air goto
From: "Jason Short" <jshort@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 14:58:12 -0800

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004, Gregory Berkolaiko wrote:

> On Tue, 20 Jan 2004, Jason Short wrote:

> > Here's a new version of the air-goto-in-pf patch.  I think this should
> > go in fairly soon.  Removing server-side client goto will make a lot of
> > things much prettier.
>
> Hi,
>
> Sorry for not replying earlier.  I fell of my bike and had a mild
> concussion, so I have to restrict the use of computer.

Good to hear from you.  Sorry you were injured.

> My general feeling
> towards the idea of such patch is of great discomfort.  First, there is
> this problem of fuel.  Does your patch fix support fuel yet?

Nope, no fuel support.  This will lead to less optimal paths.  IMO the
advantages of client-side client goto (you get to see the path) far
outweigh this.

> Second is the speed of "danger PF".  While I never did any testing, I
> think it will be very slow.  this is fine client-side, but when AI will
> use air-PF, things are going to get sour.  Do you plan to remove current
> air path finding altogether?

I don't plan to make any changes to server goto (unless it's removing the
ACTIVITY_GOTO activity, which I think should be possible and may be
desirable).

> Third reason is emotional -- I (re)wrote the air PF and don't want to see
> it go :(

Huh?  You have a better air PF?  There's no reason it should go anywhere;
just merge it in when you have time.

jason