[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#6970) Wishlist: tririemes lost near arctic

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#6970) Wishlist: tririemes lost near arctic
From: "Marcelo Burda" <mburda@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2004 10:39:31 -0800

Le sam 17/01/2004 à 18:25, Jason Short a écrit :

> > [mburda - Fri Nov 28 12:57:07 2003]:
> >
> > Trireme are safe near coast, but polar zone are a danger place, and
> > pole are not a real coast.
> > In classic topology the pole are very long, this simulate the
> > difficult to navigate in the polar zones
> > but in others topologies this is not right.
> > I propose, the polars tiles are not coast for trireme, its are not
> > safe there at last if the topology is
> > not the classic one (cylindrical) . Or best, trireme never are safe
> > near polar tiles.
> >
> > In divers topologies the poles can ave a interesting game play in the
> > war if it are god done.
>
> Hmm, this may not be the best time to mention this, but this should
> really be done by creating a new type of ocean (coastal versus deep
> ocean) instead.  Mapgen could then be taught not to put coastal ocean
> near to arctic terrain.
>
> I believe Cameron Morland had a patch for this a while ago.  That was
> before we had terrain flags, however.
>
> jason

Yes and not.
this was mas first idea, but now i thinck a litle different.
the flags can be used to make class of terreain type, a coast tile is a
safe class tile, and a ocean class tile

basic class (for me) are ocean, land, river-land, and ice.
ocean are for naval unit only
land for ground unit only
river-land are land traversed by a river were some naval unit can
travel.
ice are more spetial, ground unit can travel, but some naval unit too:
underwaters ones if not at coast and some polar naval unit if near
ocean.

acltualy ocean and arctic are the only terrain type of classe ocean and
ice, we can make any thinc.

for the tile of class land and river-land there are a big number from
the classic civilization (c) this is more difficult to modify this an
kip full compatible civI, civII.

Marcelo