[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#7245) Freeciv Tutorial

To: gang65@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#7245) Freeciv Tutorial
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 17:02:09 -0800

Raimar Falke wrote:

> Can you or some other describe what the purpose of a tutorial mode is?
> I can think of 3 reasons:
>  - explain the basic client control components ("with this button you
>  can control you tax rate",...)

Yes.  Explaining the basic interface is one goal.  Of course this may be
a problem if the interface changes (e.g., between clients).

>  - explain the basic game concepts ("now build your first city with
>  the 'b' key",...)

Yes.  This is closely tied to the interface explanations above ("with
the 'b' key" is an interface explanation).

>  - explain a scenario ("attach the enemy with boats but don't forget
>  to research",...)

No.  While this would be useful, it is much more complicated.  Also the
main need for tutorial mode is newbie players, while scenario
explanations serve a different purpose.

I do agree with Vasco that a more extensive event system would be useful
for scenarios.  But doing this without scripting in the ruleset may not
be worth much.

I suspect the tutorial will be targeted at the default ruleset, but most
of it should generalize fairly well (use your F_CITIES units to build
cities, etc.).

jason