[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#7245) Freeciv Tutorial

To: gang65@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#7245) Freeciv Tutorial
From: "andrearo@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <andrearo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 06:18:51 -0800

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004, Per I. Mathisen wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Jan 2004, andrearo@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > Most games havetutorials only for beginner players. I don't think a
> > in-game tutorial will be very useful for an experienced player.
> >
> > Also, why not make the current scenarios "event-enabled", and make the
> > tutorial a special purpose scenario to train beginner players? That would
> > give opportunities for more interesting single player scenarios also. That
> > is something I'd be happy to code :)
>
> This is a possibility. Can you elaborate on this idea? How would you
> implement it?

The idea is to specify events in the scenario file that will have an
effect on the game. For a tutorial, the events can be triggered to display
a certain message when you have built your first city, or specify an event
which makes you win the game if you capture a predetermined city or
eliminate an entire nation. There could also be "mission" scenarios, where
you get orders to research nuclear missles, and you win once you have
bombed for example Hiroshima.

Implementation would involve defining a simple syntax to specify the
events in the scenarios, and making the server act according to the events
specified
in the list of events. For example, Civ2's scenario event syntax is something
like:

IF
CityTaken
City=London
THEN
TEXT
^The city of London was taken
ENDTEXT
ENDIF

I think the civ2 scenario system works pretty good, however,
it should be simplified a lot if this is every to be completed.

 Andreas Røsdal