[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#7245) Freeciv Tutorial

To: gang65@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#7245) Freeciv Tutorial
From: "Raimar Falke" <i-freeciv-lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 16:11:42 -0800

On Fri, Jan 16, 2004 at 10:52:21AM -0800, Jason Short wrote:

> Bartosz Kosiorek wrote:
>
> > PLEASE !!!!!!!!!
> > Could You create some ingame Tutorial..
>
> This has been requested numerous times before.  It's been discussed but
> nothing's ever been done about it.
>
> Here's a sample tutorial patch.  Under this patch we set up a given
> number of tutorial "events" and assign each of them a message.  The
> first time the event occurrs the message will be shown, and will be
> marked not to be shown again.  The whole thing is implemented
> client-side.  The tutorial messages are put directly into the code.

Can you or some other describe what the purpose of a tutorial mode is?
I can think of 3 reasons:
 - explain the basic client control components ("with this button you
 can control you tax rate",...)
 - explain the basic game concepts ("now build your first city with
 the 'b' key",...)
 - explain a scenario ("attach the enemy with boats but don't forget
 to research",...)

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 "Python is executable pseudocode. Perl is executable line noise"