[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#7127) [FS] chatline

To: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#7127) [FS] chatline
From: "Raimar Falke" <i-freeciv-lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 16:58:12 -0800

On Fri, Jan 16, 2004 at 04:40:09PM -0800, Morgan Jones wrote:

> > I have now also finished the chatline. A simple version which pops
> > up when you press Return (I will use Enter for new turn). It sends
> > the content when you press Return a second time. Escape closes the
> > chatline. Missing is a history.
> >
> > Pictures: http://freeciv.org/~rfalke/fs3_pics/chatline/
> >
> > Attached is the config file for the pictures.
> >
> >     Raimar
> >
> That white transparency look is really starting to win me over.  Very
> nice.
>
> Why not use the Esc key to both open and close the chatline?  This
> seems intuitive to me and there quite a few programs (admittedly
> Amiga ones) that use this.  Saves on enter/return confusion and we
> don't seem to use Esc for anything else.

At least Diablo2 also uses Return for the popup. I want to use Escape
for closing of a screen (or any popups). Yes I agree that the
Enter/Return thing is a problem. The only other solution I could think
of is something like Shift-Return for the chatline popup.

> It might be worthwhile adding a small button for it somewhere on the
> Main GUI.  I'll look at that when I next update it.

Yes.

> The only minor things I can think of is the ability to change the
> cursor colour and maybe blink speed.

The cursor color is indeed hardcoded to black. The cursor doesn't
blink. It is a full block when the widget has the focus. A hollow
block otherwise.

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Living on earth may be expensive, but it includes an annual free trip