[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#6721) A Quincuncial topology, clean up

To: mburda@xxxxxxxxx, rt-guest@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#6721) A Quincuncial topology, clean up
From: "Arnstein Lindgard" <a-l@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 11:15:33 -0800

There are some compiler errors:
control.c:1248
mapgen.c:234

When I had similar problems I downgraded from gcc 3.0.3 to 2.96.
I figured I just need to write code that works for others, not
blood-optimize my own runtime.

Per's performance concerns seem valid, since people are talking about
inlining the core functions, especially normalize_map_pos(), while
you're doing the opposite - adding sub function calls and special
casing cities and stuff.

It looks like this patch could cause a lot of general slowdown for
the sake of supporting an exotic map. But maybe you'd fix it later.
I wouldn't want to encourage premature optimization :)

The user comments are lacking, I'm not quite sure how you intend to
change the functionality of the core functions.

I don't know much about topology, I just browsed a couple of areas
I was familiar with.

Arnstein