[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#6721) A Quincuncial topology/ speed

To: mburda@xxxxxxxxx, rt-guest@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#6721) A Quincuncial topology/ speed
From: "Mike Kaufman" <kaufman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2003 17:39:21 -0800

On Wed, Dec 31, 2003 at 04:08:26PM -0800, Marcelo Burda wrote:

> Le mer 31/12/2003 à 16:33, Per I. Mathisen a écrit :
>
> > No. You need to remove whatever code that is producing different autogames
> > for gen 1/2/3/4 from your patch, and either drop it or put it in a
> > different patch.
> >
> > Sorry, but you are changing very crucial code here and we need to know
> > what effect your changes have on game speed.
> >

> this code are not optimised for this particular test.
> the run time up 40 sec on a play of 2400 sec!! timeout=1
> this is a +1.6% over a speeded game!!
>
> we begin the test game from a saved game to begin as equal as posible

here is a script I use to compare the results of two trees' autogames...

#!/bin/bash

# usage: ./compare_games.sh dir1 dir2

echo $1 $2

cd $1
L1=`ls -1 civgame*`
cd ..

for i in $L1; do
  STAT="";
  if [ ! -s $2/$i ]; then
    STAT="missing";
  fi
  cmp -s $1/$i $2/$i && STAT="identical";
  echo "$i : $STAT";
done;

If you're not seeing something like:

trajan:~/civ % ./compare_games.sh cvs snap-eff
cvs snap-eff
civgame-0605.sav.gz : identical
civgame-0645.sav.gz : identical
civgame-0685.sav.gz : identical
civgame-0725.sav.gz : identical
civgame-0765.sav.gz : identical
civgame-0805.sav.gz : identical
civgame-0845.sav.gz : identical
civgame-0885.sav.gz : identical
civgame-0925.sav.gz : identical
civgame-1000.sav.gz : identical
civgame-2000.sav.gz : identical
civgame-3000.sav.gz : identical

then your patch is simply not going to accepted without serious discussion
about WHY your patch is changing autogames...

I can see why your mapgen may be different, but by starting from a saved
game, you're eliminating that reason...

-mike