[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#7094) gtk2/win32 client under win98

To: jshort@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#7094) gtk2/win32 client under win98
From: "Vasco Alexandre da Silva Costa" <vasc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2003 17:32:32 -0800

> [per - Sun Dec 21 12:40:12 2003]:
>
> Why should it be? If you suspect this, you may try to bypass SDL
> completely by passing the --disable-sdl-mixer option to ./configure.

It has nothing to do with SDL.

The reason why it does not work on Win95/98/ME is well known. We use
quite a lot of non-contiguous memory for the pixmaps. Those old Windows
are "pseudo" 32-bit OSes with a 16-bit GDI, hence they have really
constrained limits for how many hardware pixmaps you can have. Andi
kludges around this on his clients.

One way to fix it would be to not use GdkPixmaps at all, just use
GdkPixbufs. As recommended by the GTK+ folks. Unfortunately, last time I
tried, it made things really slow on X11. Because XRender is dog slow.

Map drawing uses quite a lot of drawing steps. XRender is a large
bottleneck. Hence why I considered at a certain time to use OpenGL for
the map graphics, but things change.

My take on it today? Don't bother. 16-bit GDI OSes are doomed to the
trashcan. GTK+ 2.x in Win32 is buggy.

gui-fs, when it is finished, will work on 16-bit GDI OSes anyway.