[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Fixing ICS (simply)

To: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Freeciv-Dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Fixing ICS (simply)
From: Mark Metson <markm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 08:35:00 -0400 (AST)

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003, Per I. Mathisen wrote:

> The AI uses ICS but not smallpox. It also uses ICS inefficiently, compared
> to the best players out there. I have a patch to improve this that has not
> gotten in yet.
>
> Have you tried going to war against 14 AIs in CVS HEAD? Even if you
> disable diplomacy for AI, you should have much more trouble with this now
> than with 1.14.1.

I don't go to war, they do. I simply try to defend long enough to build my
supercities. If/when I find my phalanxes cannot hold out against their
offensive units I'll go steal gunpowder or tactics or somesuch but
basically I play turtle as I never have any decent attack chances until
the endgame - after finally stealing howitzers. But by then I usually find
even howitzers not much fun or use, too awkward and clunky, easier to use
spies and just buy cities. Although eventually there usually does come a
time when it is necessary to put several howitzers into a transport, build
the Apolo Project to find out where my main opponent's capital is, and go
do a surgical strike at their capital...

I am thinking though that with AI diplomacy I am not likely to survive
that long. Already in 1.14 I sometimes got some nasty harrasment from
transports carrying howitzers before I had manage to put riflemen or
alpine troops in my coastal cities. I suspect that with AI diplomacy I
might find it hard to survive the ironclads/destroyers era. I might even
be foreced to actually go the horsemen/feudalism/tactics route instead of
the railroad/industrialisation/electronics route...

-MarkM-

--
Got a website? Get 10,000+ hits a day FREE...
http://makemoney.knotwork.com/10000hits/