[Freeciv-Dev] Betr: New Graphics For R-Hires

To: "Shandy Brown" <shandy@xxxxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Betr: New Graphics For R-Hires
From: thomas@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 11:54:21 +0100

Hi Shandy,

Colour coding resources is a good idea!

But your current set does make it a bit difficult to see green on green like
the wheat resource. I'm not sure if a bamboo resource makes more sense then
the gems resource on a jungle square but that's subjective. Perhaps you could
add a colour coded circle behind every resource to make it more clear?
So food resources would get a green circle, trade resources a yellow one
and resource a black/silver one. I've noticed that the graphics are in PNG.
We could try to make them (the circle, not the resource itself) semitransparent.

Cheers,

Thomas (CapTVK)

As a newbie, I found it hard to remember what all the special terrain
icons meant, so I've tried to choose colours according to the following
scheme:

Black : resource
Green : food

>Yellow: trade

Here's what I've changed:
Buffalo: made darker & more defined
Wheat:   new green wheat graphic
Silk:    yellow, added more detail & smoothness
Shield:  made black
Iron:    new "3 black ingots" graphic
Gems:    new bamboo graphic
>thought bamboo made more sense)
Fish:    made greener, added detail

Here's the terrain1.png that can just replace the old one in r-hires.
I've also included an in-game screenshot.  Please let me know what you
think.
--
  Shandy Brown                               Digital Thinkery
  shandy @ geeky.net           http://www.digitalthinkery.com