[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Why are you cloning Civ II? (was Re: Migration)

To: Freeciv-Dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Why are you cloning Civ II? (was Re: Migration)
From: Alan Schmitt <alan.schmitt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 11:38:48 -0500

* Brandon J. Van Every (vanevery@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> To answer the new question you've asked: Ocean Mars is much better in
> the 3D graphics dept. than Freeciv is.  But who cares, eh?  Game
> design-wise, what I'm attempting to do is certainly much more ambitious
> and revolutionary than what Freeciv has done.  But I haven't done it
> yet.  I'll decline to offer details about what Ocean Mars will be like,
> there are public archives of what I've said about it if anyone's
> interested (and I don't believe you are).
>
> Ocean Mars is certainly not a clone of anything.  It's not a knockoff of
> anything either, i.e. Call To Power II's relationship to Civ II.
> Different game, but basically a knockoff.

First of all, I would not have asked if I was not interested. So I did
some googling, and there is some scattered data about Ocean Mars which I
found very interesting. Is it collected somewhere (in one particular
email message, or in a web page) ?

If you think Ocean Mars can be more fun (for the gamers who like
Civ-like games) than Freeciv, then I'll definitely try it. I really
enjoy Freeciv. I've been lurking on this mailing list for 6 or 7 years,
and I'm amazed at the progress made. It might not be revolutionary, but
it's fun to play. And for me (i.e. someone who is not in the game
business) it's all that matters.

Alan Schmitt

--
The hacker: someone who figured things out and made something cool happen.
.O.