[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Python?

To: "Freeciv-Dev" <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Python?
From: "Brandon J. Van Every" <vanevery@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2003 06:24:59 -0800

Horn Gábor wrote:
> Brandon replied:
> > If this Ocean Mars thing is GPL'd, I sincerely wish you the best of
> > luck,
>
> It is not, and never will be, GPL'd or any other kind of open source
> license.  Does that change your wishes?  Is that how you feel
> about Civ
> II and III?
>
> My question:
> These will be 2 different projects right?

Yes, completely different projects.  See, one value that Freeciv has
that Ocean Mars does not have, is it's a complete working game.  So if I
kick ProtoCiv out into the field, I can learn some things about what
players will and won't program.  How to accept their submissions, how to
force them through a testbed, what level of API complexity people will
really deal with in practice, how hard they really do or don't find
Python coding, etc. blah blah blah.

Also, some game design ideas can be tried in ProtoCiv, and then I can
evaluate whether they're worth including in Ocean Mars, based on real
use in the field.

Cheers,                         www.indiegamedesign.com

20% of the world is real.