[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Python?

To: "Freeciv-Dev" <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Python?
From: "Brandon J. Van Every" <vanevery@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 13:35:54 -0800

From: John Goerzen [mailto:jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
> On Fri, Dec 19, 2003 at 07:05:37AM -0800, Brandon J. Van Every wrote:
> > Petrus Viljoen contacted me privately and said he is working on a
> > scripting thingy for several languages, including Python.  I am
> > concerned the Gatekeepers may not be aware of his work, or
> interested.
>
> Against my better judgment, I ask you one last time:
>
> Why does that matter?

Which part, whether the Gatekeepers approve or not?  Because then his
work will not be easily distributed into the hands of others.  You may
think it's trivial to provide source control infrastructure, project
leadership, bugfixing, websites, a brand identity, and grassroots
awareness of available features, but you'd be wrong.  It's a major
undertaking.  When major contributors have to always undertake such
things, you are tremendously raising the bar on what kind of code reuse
will happen in the real world.

If you had some kind of /contrib directory where stuff gets distributed
and can be turned on with some compile or runtime switches, then at
least it would be "out there" in the distro and people could choose to
run it or not.  That's going to be *THE FIRST* thing I implement over
and above what Freeciv currently does, if I choose to undertake a
Freeciv-based project.  I will probably be making my decision on that
today.  No more Gatekeepers.  Just options of things you turn on or off.

Cheers,                         www.indiegamedesign.com

20% of the world is real.