[Freeciv-Dev] Re: the lack of respect for cloners

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: the lack of respect for cloners
From: Marek "Baczek" Baczyński <imbaczek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 14:52:36 +0100

On 03-12-19 you wrote:

>> I've offered to add Python.  Turned down.

> Adding more technology doesn't help. I know a little bit about theory
> of programming languages. As far as i know (afaik for an acronym
> fetishist like you are) all higher constructs from a language are macros
> which can be written in other languages. So, what is the benefit from
> languages like python?

In case of Python, he code is *much* easier to write, read and
understand. One con is that it can be anywhere from 5x to 1000x times
slower than pure-C, but the Python interpreter is easy both to embed
and extend (IME, only Lua is simpler.)

BTW, it shouldn't be THAT hard to wrap common client code into some
Python module and do an AI client, something wich is predicted to
happen at some time anyway? *hint for a certain fire-breathing person*

--
{ Marek Baczyński :: UIN 57114871 :: GG 161671 :: JID imbaczek@xxxxxxxxxxxxx  }
{ http://www.vlo.ids.gda.pl/ | imbaczek at poczta fm | http://www.promode.org }