[Freeciv-Dev] alpha, beta, release

To: "Freeciv-Dev" <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] alpha, beta, release
From: "Brandon J. Van Every" <vanevery@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 13:51:30 -0800

From: Marek Baczek Baczyński [mailto:imbaczek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx]

> The Gatekeepers propably want 1.15 to be a stable release, due next 6
> months :) I can't speak for them though, I'm not one of them.

If I do this, the first thing I will change about developer culture is
the notion that all the energy has to be put towards some One True
Version.  Instead I will have /contrib/alpha, /contrib/beta, and
/contrib/release directories.  These terms will be defined as follows:

alpha - the code is untested
beta - the code is tested and appears to work by itself
release - the code is tested and works with other release code

Anybody will be able to put stuff into /contrib/alpha.  It'll be removed
only if it's a virus or something else malicious.  A fair amount of tire
kicking will be required for code to be moved to /contrib/beta.  A *ton*
of tire kicking will be required for it to go to /contrib/release.  With
this methodology, there will never be any such thing as beta vs. stable
release.  Instead you will turn Capabilities on or off.  Default strings
"for the masses" will be alpha turned off, beta and release turned on.

Cheers,                         www.indiegamedesign.com

"Desperation is the motherfucker of Invention." - Robert Prestridge