[Freeciv-Dev] tech is way too fast

To: "Freeciv-Dev" <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] tech is way too fast
From: "Brandon J. Van Every" <vanevery@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2003 02:18:23 -0800

From: Mark Metson [mailto:markm@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
> On Thu, 18 Dec 2003, Brandon J. Van Every wrote:
>
> > This principle applies in spades to the current Freeciv.  Make an
> > alliance with the first AI civilization you meet.  That's
> > your research
> > factory.  It should be corrected; for now, it's the only
> > way to win the
> > game.  With no AI ally, your research is so slow that you
> > find yourself
> > getting attacked by alpine troops when you've still got
> > knights.  When
> > you fully perceive Freeciv strategy in these terms, you do
> > things like
> > buy Marco Polo's Embassy so that you can pick and choose the best
> > research alliances, so that you can stay ahead of all the silly AIs.
>
> Does that comment apply only to the new version that has AI
> Diplomacy?
> Because I regularly find myself attacked by apline troops
> while I do not
> even have knights, due to I do not like taking the
> feudalism/tactics route
> and leave that until last, after having gone for
> industrialisation.

Yes the AIs get their techs way too fast in pre-diplomacy versions of
Freeciv.  The AIs acquire tech viciously and ridiculously fast.  I'm
certain that they get it much faster than a human player does, because
at times I've had 1 ally and we've both been isolated from everyone
else.  And also, AIs can get it by tromping all over other AI's cities.
If cities change hands a few times, you have a lot of technology
exchange.  Basically, the rate of tech in Freeciv is completely broken
and must be fixed.

Cheers,                         www.indiegamedesign.com

20% of the world is real.