[Freeciv-Dev] Fixing ICS (simply)

To: Freeciv-Dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Fixing ICS (simply)
From: Hellen Claggett <hellen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 18 Dec 2003 18:55:25 -0500

OK, I've been following the debates and discussions on reducing ICS in
Freeciv and, as a ICS player myself, it seems to me that the proposed
solutions are more complicated than the problem they are trying to fix.
As far as I can tell, the basic problem is that founding a new city is
far more profitable than improving an existing city. Therefore, if you
really want to fix ICS, I suggest you reduce the profitability of
building a new city.

For example, simply removing the free road and irrigation that is given
to a new city will cause true fear and angst among ICS players
(remember, I'm one of them so I know ;-). If you want to keep those
above improvements for all cities, then increase the length of time it
takes to build a new city to include the time it would take to road and
irrigate the terrain. Picture seeing a 'B' on a settler for 6 turns as
it actually builds a city and then picture your would be ICS player
grinding his teeth in frustration. Going further, it may make sense to
add even more time to the creation of a new town. If it takes 2 turns to
build roads, shouldn't it take at least as long to build the houses?

Obviously, removing the above gifts that a new city currently gets will
hinder everyone who builds a new city and not just those trying to
employ the ICS strategy. But the point is that the ICS strategy, relying
on founding as many cities as possible will be hurt much, much more.

Regards,
Jonathan

P.S. Just as an aside, I've never understood how 10k people (i.e., a
settler unit) wandering into a desert (or onto any tile not near water)
and merely planting a flag in the sand and calling it 'home' would grant
them the abililty to irrigate that square with no neighboring water
source. Not only is it not realistic but is expressly encourages ICS
behavior. City sites should be planted with care; not rewarded for
idiocy.