[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Fixing ICS (simply)

To: Hellen Claggett <hellen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Freeciv-Dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Fixing ICS (simply)
From: Ilkka Lehtoranta <ilkleht@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 02:35:11 +0200 (EET)

On 18 Dec 2003, Hellen Claggett wrote:

> P.S. Just as an aside, I've never understood how 10k people (i.e., a
> settler unit) wandering into a desert (or onto any tile not near water)
> and merely planting a flag in the sand and calling it 'home' would grant
> them the abililty to irrigate that square with no neighboring water
> source. Not only is it not realistic but is expressly encourages ICS
> behavior. City sites should be planted with care; not rewarded for
> idiocy.

This gives me an idea...

In the ancient ages cities were built near water for obvious reasons.

So, what about halving food production if the city is not in the river
square or next to river/lake/sea square? You simply could not build city
middle of nowhere without water source and I still think there arent many
cities in Sahara.

Players could avoid this penalty with irrigations only.

  Greets, Ilkka