[Freeciv-Dev] Re: buying cities

To: "Freeciv-Dev" <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: buying cities
From: "Brandon J. Van Every" <vanevery@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2003 10:09:27 -0800

From: Mark Metson [mailto:markm@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
> Though come to
> think of it starting an embassy is basically no cost now that
> I am using spies instead of diplomats.

The only relevant cost is the number of mouseclicks, i.e. how long it
takes you to push the unit across the board, and whether it bores you.

> I can buy cities from most of the AIs for occassionally as
> low as 97 gold,
> occassionally as high as 600 or 700, I have seen one that was
> just over
> 1000, most are about 250 to 600. I make over 1200 per turn as
> I have tax
> set at 70%, I only need 30% science to get research time of 3
> turns per tech.

Those are rather low buyout numbers.  In Civ III, I remember needing
2000..8000 gold to buy certain cities.  In Civ II not as high, but still
in the low 1000's.  Numbers as low as you're getting would ordinarily
indicate the outer edge of a Communist sprawl.

> Actually this particular game-instance is getting
> boring now, even
> though I only took 1/4 of the world it seems to be basically
> a foregone
> conclusion since some time back that I will win.

I thought it's always a foregone conclusion.

> I have stockpiled enough freight to buy up
> the Manhattan Project in a hurry if I am forced to but do not
> expect to be forced to,

I wonder if freight is really worth it compared to just buying a Wonder
outright with money?

Brandon Van Every           Seattle, WA

Taking risk where others will not.