[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Fixing ICS (simply)

To: Freeciv-Dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Fixing ICS (simply)
From: Andy Smith <andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 17:25:09 +0000

On Fri, Dec 19, 2003 at 05:14:33PM +0000, Per I. Mathisen wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Dec 2003, Josh Cogliati wrote:
> > I propose that there should be a new directory in freeciv called
> > experimental, which is basically exactly that. It should have a far
> > lower threshhold for making a change as compared to default.
> > For example, the proposed worker unit should have gone into experimental
> > almost as soon as it was proposed, since it makes an interesting change.
> >
> > If there is any interest in this, I can work up a experimental data
> > directory
> > patch that takes the default data, combines in longturn's changes, a worker
> > unit, and other changes that I think I can at least justify as being
> > interesting.
>
> That is a good idea.

Agreed.

Also, how about restricting the city radius depending on the size of
the city?  So that it has restricted choice of which tiles to work
depending on where it was placed and how big it is.  This emphasises
placing your cities well and growing them large.

e.g. a size 1 city can only work tiles marked X:

  XCX

Once it grows to size 5 it can use:

  XXX
  XCX
  XXX

And size 10 gets what we recognise as the normal radius today:

  XXX
 XXXXX
 XXCXX
 XXXXX
  XXX

As a special enticement maybe we say that a size 20 city can work even
more (perhaps require some advance for this, hey, look, now we came
up with a useful future tech too):

 XXXXX
XXXXXXX
XXXCXXX