[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Fixing ICS (simply)

To: "Freeciv-Dev" <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Fixing ICS (simply)
From: "Brandon J. Van Every" <vanevery@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 14:56:05 -0800

Andy Smith wrote:

> Also, how about restricting the city radius depending on the size of
> the city?  So that it has restricted choice of which tiles to work
> depending on where it was placed and how big it is.  This emphasises
> placing your cities well and growing them large.

Actually by itself, no it does not.  It makes city placement such a PITA
that people will opt for 1 city on top of each resource special, rather
than trying to figure out how a larger city would encompass 3 or 4
resource specials.  I think you've just unwittingly handed the
Smallpoxer the coup de grace.

> As a special enticement maybe we say that a size 20 city can work even
> more (perhaps require some advance for this, hey, look, now we came
> up with a useful future tech too):
>
>  XXXXX
> XXXXXXX
> XXXCXXX
> XXXXXXX
>  XXXXX

I think the ability to grow cities very very large is cool, but it also
isn't going to matter until the late game.  At the beginning, people
will be too busy getting their stuff up and running as quickly as
possible to spread cities out a whole bunch.  Historically speaking
that's realistic: look at the difference between the USA East Coast and
West Coast.  Political divisions are tiny on the East Coast, and as
white people spread West they kept getting bigger and bigger.
Culminating in places like Texas and California.

Brandon Van Every           Seattle, WA

Taking risk where others will not.