[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#7021) fighting ICS (was: allies give all their tec

To: vanevery@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#7021) fighting ICS (was: allies give all their techs for nothing)
From: "Arnstein Lindgard" <a-l@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 15:38:17 -0800

About population, production and realism.

On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 13:47:23 -0800 Brandon J. Van Every wrote:

> So, how about a city has to be a certain size if you want to build a
> certain kind of unit?

I'll remind you of something that always was fundamental to Civ.
The relationship between city size and pop:

Size    Population
  1       10,000
  2       30,000
  3       60,000
  4      100,000

etcetera, i.e. it never was linear.

I've seen definitions of an "infantry division" ranging from 10,000
to 30,000 armed men. When you look at historical battles and compare
the number of actual men involved, and look at how many "divisions" a
real nation can support, it's not unreasonable to say that a Freeciv
"Rifleman" is one division. Incidentially, one Settler will give you
10,000 pop to boot.

It's not at all unreasonable to simplify reality and declare that a
size 1 city cannot support one Musketeer, if you need that tool for
balancing purposes.

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/army/unit/

> Someone else observed that in the real world, podunk farming
> hamlets cannot chuck out Destroyers.

An example:

Indonesia:
"the world's largest archipelago"
"population: 235 million"

http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/id.html

"There were about 44,000 uniformed personnel serving in the navy in
1992, including about 13,000 marines."

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/indonesia/alri.htm

Arnstein