[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#7021) fighting ICS (was: allies give all their tec

To: vanevery@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#7021) fighting ICS (was: allies give all their techs for nothing)
From: "Morgan Jones" <morgan.jones@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 15:09:56 -0800

> On Mon, Dec 15, 2003 at 11:40:19AM -0800, Arnstein Lindgard wrote:
>> On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 09:57:36 -0800 imbaczek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>>
>> I think it's not a good idea. In fact it'll encourage smallpox/ics
>> even more, as you *want* to have big cities (so you could build
>> improvements in it and make much more than from the small ones)
>> and this makes your bigger-than-average cities even bigger faster
>> than any largepox player could manage.
>>
>> Maybe that's a tuning issue. You can already use small cities to
>> pump settlers for "adding" to a big one.
>
> If it is found to be very unbalanced to allow (for example) one
> population point from a size 2 city to take a size 10 city to size
> 11, then couldn't it just add the relevant amount of food to the
> foodbox?
>
> There is also a question of whether it would apply only for cities
> whose 5x5 areas intersect, or if the radius could be larger, e.g. 3
> or even 4 tiles, also what effect roads/rail joining the cities
> would have, or having enemy units in the way...

I too quite like this idea.  It's realistic and original and I'm sure
that it will be possible to balance it gameplay-wise.

In some ways it's almost like the culture of Civ3 but within your own
nation.  Rather than population being attracted to a certain city
because of it's lovely architecture, they are attracted because of the
high production and revenue generation - more jobs.

Maybe you can attract population from frontier cities of another
player?

I imagine that the effect of this urbanization shift could be
increased as new techs are researched.  By the the time a player has
researched Industrialization the urbanization shift would be pretty
massive.

     -Morgan