[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#6941) Mission Orders

To: a-l@xxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#6941) Mission Orders
From: "Christian Knoke" <chrisk@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 04:44:01 -0800

On Tue, Nov 25, 2003 at 08:35:02AM -0800, jjc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 25, 2003 at 08:15:35AM -0800, Gregory Berkolaiko wrote:
> >
> > I don't know any orders that must be done urgently.  Only urgent things
> > are moving/attacking which is already done.  For building a city lag
> > doesn't matter (unless it's comparable with the timeout).
> >
> > But maybe I am wrong.
> Spy operations.  The player with more lag will never succeed because the
> faster player can kill the spy before the other player gets a chance to choose
> the action (However, I am not sure if the patch supports this).
> It would be very usefull to be able to tell a spy to goto city X and
> then investigate the city.

And vice versa. An attacker will always succeed, the defender has no chance
to kill the diplo. If you use mission orders for diplo and fighting, they
will make some actions stronger and weaken others, with a big chance to
unbalance the game.

This sounds like technological armement. It does not help people with
modems. For these, a concurrent movement model would be helpful.

If you want Mission orders for the purpose of ease of playing, they can be
done client-side-only, but this is harder work and goes in the direction of
client scripting, probably (which I'm in favor for).

Christian